Thursday, September 27, 2007

I have been thinking a lot lately about what it means to be Catholic and why I am Catholic (beyond the fact that my parents baptized me into the Catholic faith!). These thoughts have come up for a couple of reasons. First, being in my mid-thirties, I am noticing that more and more of my friends are either looking for another church or just not going to church at all anymore. Most of these are people that were once part of our young adult group at my Catholic church when we were all in our late twenties. They are also all people I like and respect. Their reasons are varied and not unreasonable: dissatisfaction with the community itself, which unfortunately is proving to be not very kid-friendly as they are all having kids, dissatisfaction with a certain priest, a bad experience at a certain parish, etc. Then there are also issues with the greater church: the abuse scandal, the position on women or birth control or homosexuality, the issue of not allowing the use of condoms in HIV situations, the lack of involvement of the laity in the decision making process, etc. I understand their reasons, and honestly, I also struggle with some of the same issues in the Church, so why do I stay? What is it that keeps me from walking away, finding another church or another way to worship God?

Honestly, I don't know that I can even put it into words. Being Catholic is just part of who I am, not simply because I was raised that way, but because it is part of the core of my being and identity. Which brings me to the second occasion that caused me to reflect on this question, a conversation with colleagues about Catholic identity and what it means to be Catholic. For me, being Catholic is not about simply accepting everything the Catholic Church teaches and says, though it does involve staying in dialogue with the Church on all it teaches and says, struggling to understand why it takes the positions it does and what values it is trying to protect. For me (and really for Catholic ecclesiology) the Church is also bigger than the hierarchy. It is not simply what "the Church" thinks versus what I think, because I am part of the Church (recognizing of course that the hierarchy is the teaching office of the Church, and so my opinion does not hold as much institutional weight as that of the bishops). The Church is not some entity over and against me, I am part of it and it is part of me. So yes, I believe that you can be Catholic, be a FAITHFUL Catholic, and disagree with the Church. That is part of why I am Catholic, because I love the principle of "unity in diversity" that is a bedrock principle of how the Catholic Church understands what it means to be Church. I believe that one of the great gifts of Catholicism is its ability to hold together people of very diverse viewpoints.

On a deeper theological level, for me being Catholic is about believing in the goodness and love of God our Creator, and thus the goodness of humanity and all creation. This core theological precept is what grounds the sacramental mentality of Catholicism, the idea that all of created reality has the ability to mediate God because it has been created by God. Our sacraments are based on a relationship with God that is tangible, a God who has chosen to enter into our finiteness so that we see, hear, smell, taste, and touch the presence of God in bread and wine, in oil and water, in candles and incense, in song and symbol. I am Catholic because I experience that presence of God each Sunday in the community, the Word, and the Eucharist. Sure I experience God when I kayak down the Root River amid the breathtaking wonder of the autumn leaves, but that is not enough for me. I need the ritual, the beauty of the words and gestures, the reminder of who I am and the union that I experience in the Eucharist.

I am Catholic because I believe that God loves all people, has graced all people, and is present to and in all people through the Spirit; and so I believe that the goodness of humankind will ultimately triumph. I am Catholic because on my worst days and on the days when things seem to be so wrong in the world, I can look at a crucifix and see an image of the God that loves us despite all of our sinfulness and brokenness, a God in whom the victory over sin, evil, and death has ultimately already been won by a love that is bigger than our worst failings and with us in our darkest moments. That is why I am Catholic. That is why I stay. In the words of the grandmother of one of my professors, "You cannot leave your heart."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The concerns you raise about some people turning away from the Church is not just a Catholic phenomenon.

I was wondering if you or others have read the article "A New Generation Expresses its Skepticism and Frustration with Christianity" by the Barna Group? I think it should raise alarm bells in all branches of the Christian faith. Do you or others have opinions on this article?

As a new Catholic I am sometimes frustrated with certain positions of the church. It seems often to focus on wedge social issues where there is much disagreement and controversy rather than building on a consensus for achieving a better world through peace, shared prosperity, improved education, a cleaner environment, mutual respect, etc.

But this is not simply a Catholic problem, as a former Protestant I found many of the more 'evangelical' branches of my church doing the same thing. Worse, it seemed to me that they often preached that affluence implied godliness or that concern for the environment was misplaced as the Rapture was imminent and they were all going to heaven anyway because they were believers. Believers in what is my question? Christ and his teachings? They must understand the New Testament much differently than I.

It seems we should be confident and secure enough in our Christian beliefs to maintain an open mind, an open heart, and a social concern.

Heidi Russell said...

This study by the Barna Group that Brian cites is fascinating! It does sound like we have a major PR problem among the young (defined in the study as 16-29). I do think that we (including myself) do not do enough to model what it means to be a disciple of Christ instead of talking about what positions you have to hold to be considered Catholic or Christian. Interestingly enough, in our Bible study on the Gospel of Matthew this morning, one point we touched on is the fact that when Jesus talks about the narrow gate or the hard road, he is referring to the fact that we must actually DO the things he has just finished telling us to do in the Sermon on the Mount, i.e., be merciful and meek, not judge others, love our enemies, not be materialistic, give to the poor, etc. He concludes this whole discourse with the comparison of a house built on sand vs. a house built on rock. The house on sand is anyone who hears Jesus' words, but does not ACT on them, and the house on rock is anyone who hears his words and acts accordingly. I think we would have a much greater impact on young people (and old too), if we used more action and less words to show what it means to be Catholic!