Thursday, October 19, 2006

Last week I addressed the spiral of violence that I see in our society. This week I want to mention the shining example (an example I was remiss not to mention last week) that exemplifies the very Scripture passages I referenced in that entry. There have been many stories and reflections in the news about the Amish community's loving forgiveness in word and deed of the man, Charles Roberts, who murdered their children. I am adding my own reflections because I don't think enough can be said about their extraordinary reaction. In addition to expressing their forgiveness of the shooter, the Amish community reached out to Roberts' wife and children in the midst of their grief. The Amish community responded to violence with love and goodness by visiting the Roberts' family to bring food and express their condolences, inviting the Roberts' wife and family to attend the funerals of the children killed, and attending Roberts' funeral themselves. They have set up a fund for Roberts' children and have expressed the hope that the family will stay in the area as opposed to moving away, assuring them that if they stay, they will have friendship and support. I must add my disappointment in reading the news report that vandals had disturbed Roberts' grave, an act that can only add to the grief of Roberts' innocent family and can only be seen in stark contrast to the loving and forgiving reaction of the families of the victims themselves.

I stand in awe of a community that practices what they believe with a sincerity that I doubt I could match in similar circumstances. While I would not wish ill on the family members who are certainly not to blame for the tragedy and are undoubtedly suffering themselves, I would probably not wish to see or interact with those who would be such a vivid reminder of my own suffering were something similar to happen in my community. The Amish community took the exact opposite approach, reaching out to them in a way that expresses profound graciousness. They say that they forgive because they believe they are forgiven. They grieve, but also believe that their children are in a better place, and so are able to respond with love instead of bitterness. The Amish that live among us have always been a strong counter-cultural witness to what it means to live simply and with humility. At the time of their most public and mournful moment, they have also been a witness to what it means to live the principles of non-violence.

One of the reasons I love working in a parish is because I learn so much from the people with whom I work. A woman at our parish spoke the other night about how it can be difficult to see Jesus as an example for our own behavior and reactions, because while we believe he was fully human, we can also use his divinity as an excuse not to do as he did (well of course he could forgive, he was divine!). She said that when you look at a human person who does live as Jesus lived, it takes away the excuse. If the Amish community can imitate Jesus' own love and forgiveness in such a vivid way, the rest of us have no excuse not to do the same.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i thought the whole amish thing was interesting. i don't much follow the news. but i think it's great of the amish response to the tradgedy. the problem with our whole rules of engagement is that there is no way to say..o.k...you hit me, but i'm just going to let it go. and that's what the amish did. rather than meet violence with violence they met violence with peace and love and that is what really creates a victory over violence. i would really say that they won..in that sense...though it's still such a horrible thing.